Posted on: Jul 3, 2017
Most often there is more than one person designated to manage the health care treatments for aging patients. This can be frightening because older patients often see more than one doctor and many take multiple medications. Also, the complexities of our health insurance system and government benefits can be difficult to navigate. This may cause patients and their caregivers feel overwhelmed.
A Geriatric Care Specialist may be able to help you! These are professionals who can help with case management for aging patients. Geriatric Care Specialists, also known as Geriatric Care Managers, or Aging Life Care Professionals, can be hired to act as case managers for elderly patients. They can help with a number of things. A Geriatric Care Specialists can:
- Help create a Care Plan, including a Long-Term Care Management Plan.
- Help you understand what types of care are available in your community.
- Help you obtain the appropriate care services.
- Advocate for you with the hospital or doctors.
- Coordinate with doctors and nurses information about other treatments you are undergoing.
- Coordinate the medical and billing issues you and your family.
- Help manage care when family members feel overwhelmed or live far away.
This list is not exhaustive. Geriatric Care professionals are well equipped to be case managers for aging patients.
Aging Life Care Association (ALCA), formerly the National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers, is an organization dedicated to assisting older persons and their families in coping with the challenges of aging. The ALCA states they are “committed to maximizing the independence and autonomy of aging adults,” and their members “assist older persons and their families in coping with the challenges of aging.” This is just one such organization. We encourage you to research the Geriatric Care professionals who are available in your area.
If you require care or are a caregiver for an aging patient, it’s a good idea to talk with a Geriatric Care Specialist so you can understand the services they offer and how they can help you.
How Can Elder Law Group PLLC Help Me?
We focus on the particular needs of seniors. Our firm offers legal services and guidance in the following areas:
- Asset Protection Estate Planning™
- Wills & Asset Protection Supplemental Needs Trusts
- Durable Powers of Attorney for Financial and Health Care
- Health Care Directives
- Medicaid Asset Preservation Strategies™
- Long-Term Care Planning
- Probate & Trust Administration
- Other Elder Law Issues
We invite you to learn more about our team here, and read what our clients have to say about us here.
Contact us or call (509) 468-0551 (Spokane office), or (509) 579-0206 (Tri-Cities office), for personal, compassionate guidance on the particular needs of seniors and their families.